A few days ago, I posted this on Instagram….
True statement right there.
It’s funny how one decorating movement made on a total whim can get the juices flowing. After I popped this guy above our bed, I actually (1) made my bed (Please, no applause. ;)) and (2) I busted out the camera and tripod and took pics of not only this space, but all of the other spaces that I’ve worked on in the past month or so. It was a successful morning to say the least.
So, with that I give you my art…
This, my friends, is a HUGE piece of DIY art that I created for (waitforit) EIGHT DOLLARS. No joke.
Now, granted, a big part of this project costing practically pennies was luck. I found this giant canvas that was already framed in raw wood at a thrift store for $7.99. It looked like a DIY painting of a winterscape painted in brown and white before I painted over it. Had it been attractive, I may have kept it, but sadly, it was not. At least not for my taste. It wasn’t signed and didn’t appear to be anything other than maybe a school project or something so I didn’t feel too bad covering it up.
Now, because I was in my little Money-Pit-Funk when I completed this project, I have no process pics, but transforming it was pretty simple and self-explanatory. Let me put it this way… My four-year-old-helped me do it. For that reason alone, I really wish I’d snapped some pics… the little man was so excited to be wielding a paint roller. And he did really well.
Anyways, updating the art took very little time and zero dollars. I just used what I had on hand. I simply taped off the frame and then Lucas and I painted over the canvas with white primer (It was Kilz Premium). Once that was dry, I taped off the canvas and stained the wooden frame using two coats of Varathane’s Early American stain. I then decoupaged a print that I already owned in the middle of the canvas with Matte Mod Podge (after cutting it down to size using my sweet neighbor’s paper slicer (have I mentioned that I love our neighbors?)). I’ve found that the key to Mod Podging paper is to “glue” the paper down with one coat of Mod Podge, then let it dry thoroughly before adding coats over top. This prevents the paper from sliding and tearing.
That’s all it took. It was easy and pretty darn foolproof.
I may go back eventually and add some hints of color over top of the white so it’s not so stark, but I’m still deciding on that. Right now I kind of like the simplicity of it. In the meantime, this over-sized art really helps to fill the wall and make this side of the room feel more finished.
Here’s a view from the doorway (PLEASE ignore the ceiling fan… It’s destined for replacement with something more our style)…
The frame is looking a bit orange in some of these pics, but it’s actually a beautiful medium-dark wood tone that plays really well with my vintage foot stool and rattan table on the opposite side of the room. The bed area really needed that tone to make it feel more cohesive with the rest of the space. I still need to play with the night stand styling a bit to account for our newest addition, but I’ll tell ya. It’s SUCH an improvement from this purple mess with stained carpeting and rickety windows that we started with a year ago…
There’s still lots to do in this room… I’d love to add an area rug, a bench at the foot of the bed, more art, and a dresser to the wall by the doorway (and the ceiling fan… OH, the ceiling fan), but for now I’m just glad to have done SOMETHING in here.
As for coming projects around the house, I’ve been on an “art mission” as of late. I’m trying to fill the walls in thoughtful, inexpensive ways. So, the next few posts will cover changes to the walls in the living and hangout rooms and foyer. I’ve already taken pics, so now it’s just a matter of writing my posts. Woot!